Author Topic: Is U20 right choice for me?  (Read 70 times)

europa

• U20 Virgin
Is U20 right choice for me?
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
Hello,
I have been away from sailing for a very long time, and want to get back to it. We live in a community in Vermont that borders Lake Champlain, and, in fact, access to sailing was a factor in that choice. But that was in 1985, and we moved here with two kids under age 2, and life intervened.
I grew up sailing my Sunfish on Long Island Sound, as well as friends' Rhodes 19's. In the late 70's I bought a great boat, a Dyas, and sailed it extensively. You probably have never heard of the Dyas, but it was quite advanced for its time. A 23' German keel boat with a trapeze, it had a rolled furling jib and a spinnaker launching tube. Fast and fun!
Last year I made a tentative return to sailing with a fairly hot sailing dinghy, a Raider ll Turbo. Nice boat, but not the right choice for me at age 71. I am quite fit, and walk up our small local "mountain" (Mt Philo) 3 times a week. The small sportboats, like Viper or VX1, look like they would just be a larger version of my experience on the Raider. The Ultimate 20 looks like a good compromise, fast, but less demanding physically, and more comfortable. Or am I misreading the padding on the lifelines in the cockpit area.
One more factor, I want to be able to go out single handed most of the time, but have the ability to take a few others out a times.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Best wishes, John

Tac Boston

• Associate
  • U20 Enthusiast
Re: Is U20 right choice for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
Good day Europa

I have sailed all of the options you mention and the U-20 is for sure the "easiest" to sail. By that I mean least physical of them all. I am lucky to sail a bunch of different boats like the J-70, Melges 20/24, Viper and VX. For everyday sailing including beer can racing the U-20 is the best bang for buck. Sure the other boats are maybe a bit fast or have huge fleets if you travel but the U-20 is fantastic and the U-20 sailors are a great group of people that are always helpful if you have questions.

I like the so much I acquired another this past summer.
Cheers
Tac Boston
Flyer #28

Chris Chambers

• Administrator
  • U20 Youngster
  • Black Sheep #1
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
Hi Eurpoa!

+1 to Tac's comments.  I have not sailed as many boats as he, but by far, the most fun I have had sailing is on the U20.  I single hand mine often and yes, it is quite comfortable and dry (the lip on the hull deck joint helps knock down the bow spray in a breeze).  One of our local U20's had slugs installed on his main sail to east the hoist and douse, which I thought was a good idea for single handed sailing.  Another point you (and friends) will find nice is the stability of the boat as you board. 

I run mine with just a 2.5hp Yamaha and it's all the boat needs.  And of course the ramp launching is super nice.  Looking at what $15K buys you today at the boat show vs a U20 and it's an impressive value. 

You are close enough to Tac and the Detroit fleet to have some good road trips if you are so inclined!

Good Luck!
Chris

europa

• U20 Virgin
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
Thank you Tac for the enthusiastic recommendation, especially in light of your wide experience. Just the kind of feedback I need.
Thank you Chris for the equally positive review, and additional info.